1 T. rendered bacon fat.
1 small yellow onion, small dice
1 pound breakfast sausage (not links)
2 T. butter
2 T. flour
1 T. finely chopped sage leaves
2 cups half and half
2 cups heavy cream
¼ t. cayenne pepper
2 dashes worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper
- In a large cast iron skillet over medium heat, melt the rendered bacon fat. Stir in the diced onion and saute until translucent, about 2 min.
- Add in the sausage, crumbling in the hands into the pan. Continue to break down the sausage into smaller pieces as it cooks. About 5 min.
- Take out the sausage-onion mixture into a separate dish and add in the butter. Sprinkle in the flour to create a roux. Stir in the sage leaves and allow to foam.
- Pour in the half and half and heavy cream and stir until slightly thickened.
- Add back in the sausage-onion mixture. Add cayenne pepper, worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper to taste. Allow to come to a thick consistency then turn off heat.
- Serve over warm biscuit halves.